As of: 20 September 2013
Curriculum Vitae -- Charles A. Doswell III
- Born: November 5, 1945, Elmhurst, Illinois (York Township,
HONORS, AWARDS, CERTIFICATIONS
- Willowbrook Community High School, Villa Park, Illinois: 9/59
to 6/63; graduated, 2.94 GPA
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin (122 sem.hrs.):
9/63 to 6/67, Bachelor of Science degree conferred 5 June 1967.
Major - Meteorology. 3.09 overall GPA; in Major: 3.62 GPA
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma (3l sem. hrs): 9/67
to 1/69, Master of Science degree conferred January l969.
Major - Meteorology; Minor - Mathematics. 3.89 overall GPA;
in Major: 4.00 GPA
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma (94 sem. hrs.): 1/69
to 6/69 and 6/72 to 7/76, Doctor of Philosophy degree conferred 30
July 1976. Major - Meteorology. 3.92 overall GPA; in major: 4.00
GPA. Dissertation title: The Use of Filtered Surface
Observations to Reveal Subsynoptic Scale Dynamics.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- National Merit Letter of Commendation - June 1963
- Invitation to Univ. of Wisconsin Honors Convocation - June
- Dean's List, Univ. of Oklahoma - Dec 1967, May 1968
- Silver Medal Award, U.S. Dept. of Commerce - Oct 1989,
for "meritorious authorship and editing associated with A Guide
for Operational Meteorological Research"
- NOAA Sustained superior performance award - 1987, 1988,
1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997
- Editor's Award - Amer. Meteor. Soc. - Jan 1994, for
"providing penetrating and thought-provoking reviews on numerous
manuscripts submitted to Weather and Forecasting"
- Gold Medal Award (Unit Citation), U.S. Dept. of
Commerce - Oct 1995, to NSSL "for achieving scientific and
technological breakthroughs leading to continuous improvements in
the national network of Doppler radars"
- Research Achievement in Support of Operational Forecasting
Award (now the T.T. Fujita Award), Nat. Wea. Assoc. -
Dec 1995, for "outstanding contributions to operational research"
- ERL Outstanding Scientific Paper Award - Sep 1996, for
the paper: Brooks, H.E., Charles A. Doswell III, and R.B.
Wilhelmson (1994): On the role of the mid-tropospheric winds in
the evolution and maintenance of low-level mesocyclones. Mon
Wea. Rev., 122, 126-136.
- NSSL Outstanding Scientific Paper Award - Jan 1999, for
the paper: C.A. Doswell III, H.E. Brooks and R.A. Maddox (1996):
Flash flood forecasting: An ingredients-based methodology. Wea.
Forecasting, 11, 560-581.
- Certified Consulting Meteorologist - Amer. Meteor.
Soc., February 2002
- Anton’n Strnad Gold Medal - Czech
Hydrometeorological Inst., August 2002, for "many years of
collaboration and an active participation in the development of
meteorology of convective storms in the Czech Republic"
- Sergey Soloviev Medal - European Geosciences Union,
2004, "in recognition of his world leadership in predicting the
consequences of severe storms and floods, and in the avoidance and
mitigation of these severe natural hazards"
- Nikolai Dotzek Award - European Severe Storms Lab., June 2013, for "lifetime achievement in severe convective storms research"
- NWA Special Lifetime Achievement Award
- Nat. Wea. Assoc., October 2013, for "his exceptional service and
contributions to the operational forecasting and research communities
through highĐquality scientific research, educational workshops, and
mentorship of colleagues and students"
- American Meteorological Society
- Chi Epsilon Pi Meteorology Honorary Society
- Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
- National Weather Association
- U.K. Royal Meteorological Society (Fellow)
- Session Chair, 9th AMS Conf. Wea.Forecasting and Analysis
(Seattle, WA) - 1982
- Session Chair, 10th AMS Conf. Wea. Forecasting and Analysis
(Clearwater, FL) - 1984
- Session Chair, 14th AMS Conf. Severe Local Storms
(Indianapolis, IN) - 1985
- Session Chair, 15th AMS Conf. Severe Local Storms (Baltimore,
MD) - 1988
- Session Chair, 12th AMS Conf. Wea. Forecasting and Analysis
(Monterey, CA) - 1989
- Session Chair, Tornado Symp. III (Norman, OK), 1991.
- Session Chair, 17th AMS Conf. Severe Local Storms (St. Louis,
MO), - 1993
- Session Chair, 18th AMS Conf. Severe Local Storms (San
Francisco, CA) - 1996
- Session Chair, 10th Cyclone Workshop (Val Morin, Quebec) -
- Session Chair, 19th AMS Conf. Severe Local Storms
(Minneapolis, MN) - 1998
- Session Chair, 20th AMS Conf. Severe Local Storms (Orlando,
FL) - 2000
- Member, Program Committee, 15th AMS Conf. Severe Local Storms
(Baltimore, MD), 1986-1988
- Member, Program Committee, 12th AMS Conf. Weather Forecasting
and Analysis (Monterey, CA), 1987 - 1989
- Co-Chair, Program Committee, 16th AMS Conf. Severe Local
Storms (Kananaskis Provincial Park, Alberta, Canada), 1988 - 1990
- Co-Chair, Program Committee, Tornado Symposium. III (Norman,
OK), 1989 - 1991.
- Member, Organizing Committee, 2nd European Conf. on Severe
Storms (Pruhonice, Czech Republic), 2000 - 2002
- Session Chair, 4th International Conf. Mesoscale Convective
Systems and Heavy Rainfall in East Asia (Beijing, People's
Republic of China) - 2004.
- Associate Editor, Monthly Weather Review, 1 January
1984 - 1 January 1986
- Associate Editor, Weather and Forecasting, 1 January
1988 - 1 January 1998
- Associate Editor, Monthly Weather Review, 1 January
1998 - 1 January 2000
- Associate Editor, The Tornado: Its Structure, Dynamics,
Prediction, and Hazards (Proceedings, Tornado Symp. III),
Geophysical Monogr. 79, Amer. Geophys. Union, 1989 - 1993.
[Winner Best New Book in Geography and Earth
Sciences, Amer. Publishers, Inc. (1994)]
- Editor, Severe Convective Storms (AMS Monograph), Amer.
Meteor. Soc., December 1993 - December 2001
- Advisory Board Member and Chief Scientist, Electronic Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology, November 2005 - present
- Guest Editor, Atmospheric Research, 7 June 2013 - present
- Visiting Professor, State Univ. of New York at Albany, June
1994 - May 1995
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Univ. of Oklahoma,
January 1989 - August 1996
- Adjunct Professor, Univ. of Oklahoma, September 1996 -
- Member, AMS Advisory Committee on Severe Local Storms, 1986 -
- Member, AMS Advisory Committee on Severe Local Storms, 1992 -
- Member, AMS Executive Council, January 1997-2000
- Facilitator, AMS statement on tornado safety and preparedness,
- Member, AMS Ad Hoc Committee on Meetings, 1998-2000
- Co-Facilitator, AMS statement on probability forecasting,
- Member, AMS Advisory Committee on Weather Analysis and
Forecasting, 2002 - present
- Member, Council of Fellows, Cooperative Institute for
Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS), January 1991 - January
- Member, Steering Committee, Oklahoma Mesonetwork, Oklahoma
Climate Survey, January 1991 - May 1992.
- Member, Steering Committee, Cooperative Regional Assimilation
and Forecast Test (CRAFT) for Center for Analysis and Prediction
of Storms (CAPS), University of Oklahoma, August 1991 - December
- Chair, Data Processing and Management Advisory Committee,
NSSL, December 1986 - April 1990
- Member, Personnel Management Advisory Committee, National
Severe Storms Laboratory, 1995 - 1996
- Member, WMO Steering Group on Very Short-Range Forecasting,
January 1989 - January 1992
- Member, International Programme Committee for the INM-WMO
International Symposium on Mediterranean Cyclones and Hazardous
Weather Phenomena [INM - Instituto Nacional de Meteorologia],
January 1996 - April 1997
- Member, U.S. Weather Research Program Prospectus Development
Team #9 (Hydrological Aspects of Weather Prediction and Flood
Warnings), December 1997
- Member, FEMA Building Performance Assessment Team for the 3
May 1999 outbreak of tornadoes in OK and KS, May 1999.
- Member, Interim Science Committee, MEDEX (Mediterranean
Experiment), INM-WMO, February 1999-December 2001
- Member, Scientific Program Committee, European Conf. on Severe
Storms, July 2000 - September 2002
- Member, NWS Quick Response Team, 2003 - present