Chuck Doswell's Storm Chase
Restaurant and Lodging Guide
Posted: 12 August 2003. Updated:
04 July 2010. This information is intended
to be of assistance to chasers wishing to find decent places to stay
and eat, while chasing. Included with each entry is a year indicating
our most recent use of the establishment (estimated in some cases).
Information of this sort is somewhat perishable, as management and
standards can change and it may be a while before we get back and
check it out. The more time since our last visit, the less reliable
our assessment might be. Any establishment we visit in the future
that we find no longer meets our standards will be dropped from this
listing. Same goes if we find that it has gone out of business. Input
regarding entries should be sent to me at
cdoswell#earthlink.net (use the hyperlink or cut and paste the address, replacing the # with @)
- Polly's Home Cookin' on I-40 in Amarillo, next to the
Motel 6 on the east side of town ... closed on Sunday morning, though
- Phillips Manor Motel Restaurant in Dumas,TX. Good
American-style food at reasonable prices - 1997
- NORKA Restaurant, in Akron, CO. Good food and good
service, as well as a nice play on words - 1997
- When the Sands Motel Restaurant (already highly recommended,
especially on Sunday afternoon) is closed in Dalhart, there's a truck
stop on the south side of town (a Conoco station) that stays open til
11:00 pm, offers pretty decent food, and has friendly service, as
well as phone hook-ups (for laptop modems) right at the tables - 1997
- Black Bear Lodge Restaurant, in the Davis Mountains
State Park, TX. If all you want to do is eat at the Lodge, get a pass
when you first drive into the park. But the park is nice, too,
especially if you are at all inclined to camping - 2002.
- Pop's Grill. Great burgers at Ft. Davis. Be careful -
the burgers are B-I-G! At its new location on the southwest side of
town, on the way to Marfa, the decor and mood seems to have changed
toward more upscale, yuppie-type eating, instead of the simple style
it used to be - 2003.
- Bernardo's Steak House in HSI, just north of US6, west
of US281. Good food, reasonable prices, beer and wine available -
- Fuller's Family Restaurant in MCK, on US6/34 ("B"
street), a block or so west of the intersection with US83. Incredible
portions, reasonable prices, and open 24 hours - 2001
- Mexico Lindo in MCK, on Norris St. just north of US6/34
near the center of town. Good Mexican food for so far north. Great ad
on the radio brought us there and Corky, the owner, is a great guy to
talk with, if he's not too busy (Corky has died and the place is now called El Puerto - it's O.K, but nothing special, now) - 2010
- Batenhorst Smokehouse and Country Store in Umbarger, TX
on the east side of town on US60, a short ways east of the road to
Buffalo Lake NWR. Excellent barbecue food (don't expect California
yuppie-style low-fat cuisine!) and very reasonable prices. (may be closed now) - 1998
- Eklund's in CAO. Great food and drink at affordable
prices - 2005
- Abuello's Mexican Embassy, in LBB - 2001
- Sandhiller in Wray, CO. Nice family restaurant - ca.
- Stagecoach Restaurant in Ogallala, NE. Good food, good
prices - 1999
- Good Sheppard's Inn, in Kit Carson, CO. Mom and pop
operation, where they opened the grill to feed us late one stormy
night! - 1999.
- Whistle Stop in BFF. Good, down-home American-style
cooking, in quantity, with good service at a low price - 2000
- The "Coffee Shop" in Bowman, ND (on Main). Great food,
huge amounts, at a low price. If you order breakfast, make it a half
order unless you're very hungry! - 2000.
- Blackwell Station in LAA. Good, down-home
American-style cooking, in quantity, with good service at a low
price. Right across the road from the El Mar (now closed!) - 2008
- Villanueva Mexican in LAA. Nice Mexican-style food.
About 3 blocks south of the El Mar - 2001
- Dee's Cafe, in Cando, ND. Good, inexpensive
American-style cooking, on Main Street, downtown (off the highway) -
- Jane's Home Cookin' in in Baker, MT. Excellent,
inexpensive American-style food; the soups are terrific! One
blockwest of Main Street on US12 - 2001.
- Waterhole #3 in Lemmon, SD. An excellent steakhouse
with great service, even late at night. About two blocks north of
US12, on Main Street - 2001.
- Hub City Brewpub in downtown LBB. On-campus atmosphere
with good microbrews and food (now closed!) - 2008.
- Barrel Bar on the east side of HSI. Great steaks and
stays open fairly late for that post-tornado steak dinner celebration
- Fred's Restaurant in Sumner, NM. Pretty decent
steakhouse - 2003.
- Tropp's Bar and Grill in HLC. Good place for that
post-tornado steak dinner - 2003.
- The Frying Pan in YKN (and elsewhere). Good affordable
food in a place that stays open 24 h! - 2003.
- Route Steakhouse in Burlington, CO. Nice steakplace -
- Memories in Fort Morgan, CO. Outstanding food and a
great menu selection, affordable, stays open relatively late - 2009.
- Fireside Junction Restaurant on the west side of LIC.
Good, affordable food but ignore the decor - 2003.
- Tacos Garcia in Amarillo, TX, north of I-40 on the
street for the Microtel Inn and Suites. Great Mexican and very
affordable - 2005
- City Limits Bar & Grill at the Comfort Inn in
Colby, KS. Good food, great service, and stays open fairly late - 2008
- Carol's Restaurant in Alliance, NE. Good, affordable
American-style food - 2005
- Big J's Cafe on Main Street in Bowman, ND. Huge
helpings for breakfast at low prices - 2005
- Chuck Wagon Restaurant on the west side of Liberal, KS
on Hwy 54. Excellent Mexican fare at low prices - 2005
- Stadium Sports Grill in Belle Fourche, SD. Good
selection plus some decent beer choices - 2005
- The Grand Oasis in Mobridge, SD. Great buffet and
many manu selections, besides, at great prices - 2005
- The Sands Motel Restaurant in Dalhart, TX. The Sunday buffet is especially good. Now open 24 h! - 2007
- Lucky Garden in Burlington, CO. Great, affordable Chinese food - 2006
- Hitchin' Post in Winner, SD. Good, affordable American-style food in a western atmosphere - 2006
- Ken and Dale's Restaurant in AIA. Good, affordable American-style food - 2007
- Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant in PIR. Very good service, good food, and good prices - 2007
- Doo Wah Ditty's Diner, Kimball, SD. Good, affordable food on I-90 - 2007
- Holiday House, on the east side of Winner, SD. Good, affordable food - 2007
- Longhorn Restaurant, downtown in Kimball, NE. Good service, good food, good prices - 2007
- Jeri's Kitchen, downtown in Kingman, KS. Excellent if simple fare at low prices - 2008
- Taqueria Mexico, on the east end of Wyatt Earp Blvd in DDC. Excellent Mexican food, good service, affordable - 2008
- Moonlight Diner, on Tower Road near DIA. Large portions, good variety, affordable and stays open late - 2010
- Meadowlark Restaurant, near Bridgeport, NE. Good affordable food and stays open relatively late - 2008
- Taste of Texas BBQ, on the highway in western MCK. Good BBQ, service, and large portions for a relatively low price - 2010
- Home Cooking Cafe, in Elk City (associated with the Ambassador Motel). Classic Oklahoma country food and lots of it for a low price - 2009
- Cotton Patch Cafe, a TX chain - this one in PVW. Really good country cooking, large portions, reasonable price - 2009
- Big Ed's Steakhouse, Bird City, KS. Stays open late for that post-tornado steak dinner with a beer or wine, near GLD - 2009
- Harold's Pit Bar-B-Q, Abilene, TX. Definitely the genuine TX product - directions. Don't be put off by the modest exterior - 2009
- Grand Buffet, AIA. Chinese buffet with great service, nice people, and reasonable prices - 2009
- Sand Cafe, Merriman, NE. Simple but good American fare at low prices in a small town - 2009
- Margarita's, LBF. Excellent, affordable Mexican food - 2010
- Chatterbox, on the west side of Tribune, KS. Standard but good American fare. It's the waitress, Patty, who makes this place fun - 2010
- Creekside Tavern, just off the main drag in Wray, CO. Excellent food at affordable prices - 2010
- First Interstate Diner, just across from the Super-8, Kimball, NE - Nice people, good American food, good prices - 2010
- Mi Ranchito, LBF. Another excellent Mexican restaurant - 2010
- Oscar's Bar and Grill, in the truck stop cluster on the west side of LIC. Excellent food and service, with nice affordable wine choices - 2010
- Michael's Cantina, OFK. Another excellent Mexican restaurant - 2010
- Bar-B-Q Central, ONL. Really outstanding BBQ, with dry-rub ribs that were just plain perfect! - 2010
- DiCiccio's, on Tower Road, near DIA. Excellent Italian fare, although a tad pricey - 2010
Lodging (including camping)
Generally speaking, all recommended motels have TWC on cable and
some way of connecting to the Internet.
- Grand Motel in HSI, on US6, east of US281. Reasonable
prices, continental breakfast included - 2001
- Capri Motel in BFF, on NE71 on the north side of town.
Reasonable prices, will let you use their laundry, coffee in room,
small refrigerator in room - 2002
- Sage Motel, in MCK, on US6/34 on the east side of town,
east of the US83 interection. Reasonable prices, let me use their personal phone for laptop hookups. Only 6 units, though - 1998
- Motel 7 in GLD, on Business 24 on the east side of town.
Reasonable prices, TWC, no data phone capability and a bit run-down,
but clean and not so pricey as the chains on the west side of town. Closed - 2007.
- Buffalo Lake NWR, south of Umbarger, TX. Only a $2 entry
fee (in 1998) and camping is free! Nice campsites and very
underutilized, with flush toilets and a water spigot - 1998
- X-L Motel in HSI (on US6). Not a bad substitute if the
Grand Motel is booked - 1999
- The Curve Motel on the north side of Buffalo, OK . A
very clean and friendly atmosphere in a true "mom and pop" operation
- Circus Inn (on US84 toward Post) in southeastern LBB, on
US 84 (toward Post) between I-27 and the Loop. Take US84 east off
I-27, will need to do a U-turn. Clean and affordable rooms - 2003
- Victorian Motel in MAF (on the access road to Business
I-20). Clean and affordable in spite of the Victorian motif - 2001
- The Park Motel (north of Rodeo Drive on US83) in LBF.
Clean and affordable, with friendly proprieters. - 2002
- Rawhide Motel in Lusk, WY. Clean and affordable - 1999
- Sands Motor Inn, in Ulysses, KS. Clean and affordable -
- Butte Motel in Wray, CO. Nice, affordable place that
includes the Sandhiller restaurant - 2002
- Good Sheppard's Inn, in Kit Carson, CO. Nice people and
clean, affordable rooms in converted mobile homes - 1999
- Fleetwood Inn in CYS (take exit 364 from I80). Clean
affordable rooms - 2001
- Country Inne in OFK (Hwy 275). A tad bit pricey, but
nice rooms - 2000
- Buckboard Inn in Beach ND (on I94). Nice folks, right
next to Flying J truck stop - 2000
- Trail Motel in Bowman ND. Nice affordable rooms - 2000
- El Mar Budget Host on the south side of LAA, on US287.
Clean and affordable rooms with nearby excellent food options - 2004
- Lemmon Country Inn, about 3 miles east of town in
Lemmon, SD on US12. Nice "mom and pop" operation - 2008.
- Buffalo Trails Motel on the west side of Winner, SD.
Nice affordable rooms with wireless internet - 2006
- White House Inn in ABR. A great bargain even though the
outside appearance is kinda silly - 2002
- Laura Lodge in Pecos, TX. Nice rooms at a good price,
even for a town on the Interstate - 2003
- West Way Motel in AIA. Affordable rooms in a town with
pricey motels - 2003
- Sleep Inn in FSD. Clean affordable rooms - 2003
- Regency in South Sioux City, NE. Clean, affordable
rooms near OMA; be prepared to overlook a somewhat run-down exterior
- Travelodge in Elk City, OK. Somewhat run-down but the rooms were clean, comfortable, and very low prices, plus some very helpful owners - 2009
- G & L Tire and Automotive, Hays, KS. Excellent,
speedy service, friendly people - 2005
- Eric's Amoco, Agar, SD. Wonderful service, competent,
honest workmanship - 2005